If you’re finding yourself in a position where using the same skincare products day in and day out isn’t as effective as it used to be, chances are 1. You’ve started researching the concept of Skin Cycling and 2. We need to get you on board with Skintuitive Thinking – Current State’s approach to Skin Cycling.
Let’s take a look at what Skin Cycling is all about, why rigid daily routines are a thing of the past and how Current State is here to help you tune in to your skin’s needs – no matter what life throws at you.
What is Skin Cycling?
Skin Cycling can actually mean (2) things: the natural process your skin goes through to renew itself and alternating the types of products you use to help it get the job done. Every 28 days, your skin goes through a natural self-renewal process in which it sheds old skin cells and replaces them with new ones. To make it easy for you, we can look at this process week-by-week:
- Week 1: Your body begins to generate new skin cells that begin rising to the surface. Skin immediately starts to look more glowy and fresh than it has before.
- Week 2: Skin begins to repair itself for improvement in overall tone and texture.
- Week 3: Deep under the surface, collagen and elastin production is moving full steam ahead for increased firmness and elasticity.
- Week 4: Your skin is finally ready to shed all those dead skin cells and start the process all over again.
The reason this is important to know is that just like your skin is going through different stages of renewal, your daily skincare routine and the products should use need to be ready to adapt to its changing needs. The easiest way to do this is by cycling out your actives (aka targeted treatment-driven ingredients) and incorporating products that support what your skin needs NOW.
Why should I be switching up my routine?
It’s ok to have your go-to products, or your holy grail ingredients – just make sure you’re in tune with when they’re going to deliver the best benefits. If you’re feeling super sensitive, seeing redness and your skin is stressed out to the max, chances are that daily peel you’ve been using might need to be put on hiatus for a bit. Same goes for if your skin is looking dry, dehydrated or in need of some additional moisture but your daily routine only consists of a clarifying, oil-control cleanser.
Many skincare products claim to work wonders day in and day out, but if they're not formulated to address the specific needs of your skin at each phase of the renewing cycle, or if you’re experiencing concerns that aren’t covered in the benefits, they may not be as effective as they could be. Change is good – especially when it comes to switching up your routine to best suit your skin’s current status.
Remember the 4-week process we talked about above? Let’s revisit that with some examples of how you can easily swap out products to better support it. Just remember, skin CAN change daily and needs vary person by person.
- Week 1: Since your skin is generating new cells and shedding old ones, it's a great time to use gentle exfoliants to help speed up the process. Salicylic + Green Tea Exfoliating Cleanser – the beta-hydroxy acids are amazing at breaking down dead skin cells without being too harsh on the skin.
- Week 2: During the second week of the cycle, the skin is repairing itself, so it's important to focus on hydration. Look for products that contain Hyaluronic Acid and gentle nourishing ingredients that help draw moisture into the skin like Hyaluronic + Arnica Hydrating Serum or Aloe + Algae Lightweight Gel Cream.
- Week 3: Collagen and elastin production is at its peak during the third week of the cycle, so it's a great time to use products that help to boost these essential proteins. Look for products that contain Peptides, Vitamin C or Retinoids like Bamboo + Amino Mega Moisture Cream, Retinol + Marula Renewing Serum or Vitamin C + Super Greens Brightening Serum. All aimed at helping to stimulate collagen production (plus some added benefits like brightening of course!)
- Week 4: Skin is ready to shed dead skin cells and start all over during the fourth week, so it's a great time to use gentle exfoliants again while looking at specific concerns you want to target and layering in the products and ingredients you will benefit from most.
Current State’s Approach to Skin Cycling: Skintuitive Thinking
When it comes to Skin Cycling, we like to compare it to the concept of intuitive eating – Skintuitive Thinking, if you will. Just as intuitive eating encourages you to tune in to your body's natural hunger and fullness signals, Skintuitive Thinking encourages you to tune in to your skin's natural needs at any given time - whether that’s during the skin renewal process or just to offset what life throws at you on any given day. Rather than following a rigid routine that may not be effective for your skin's current state, we’re here to help adjust your skincare regimen based on what your skin is telling you it needs.
Just as intuitive eating requires you to be patient and trusting of your body's natural cues, skin cycling requires you to be trusting of your skin's natural needs. By paying attention to how your skin looks and feels, you can create a routine that works with your skin, rather than against it.
In both intuitive eating and skin cycling, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Just as every person's body is unique, every person's skin is unique as well. What works for one person may not work for another, so it's important to pay attention to your own body and skin and adjust your approach accordingly. Ultimately, both intuitive eating and skin cycling are about listening to your body's natural signals and responding with care and attention.
So, what did we learn?
Skin Cycling or as we call it, Skintuitive Thinking, is a simple but super effective way to optimize your skincare routine and promote healthy, better-functioning skin. By alternating your skincare products to best suit your skin’s current status, you can avoid irritation, boost effectiveness, and curb whatever skin concerns come your way.
Just like intuitive eating, we’re here to help you listen to your body's natural signals and respond with products and ingredients that will make the most impact. By incorporating this concept into your skincare routine, you can achieve a more holistic and personalized approach to skincare that works with your skin, not against it.
What are your favorite Current State products and how do you incorporate Skintuitive Thinking into your daily routine? Share your Skintuitive routine on Instagram or TikTok and tag us @currentstateofbeauty